SSH-ing into a remote solar powered Raspberry Pi at the top of an apple tree has a special feeling — almost like commanding a spaceship where any mistake can cost you a lost link.
I build this project to remotely monitor our countryside house.
There are two options:
- A mobile USB modem attached directly to the Raspberry Pi using the point-to-point (PPP) protocol, or
- A standalone mobile modem/router creating a WiFi network.
I decided to go with a standalone modem that is plugged in at my neighbours house because of complexities involved in creating a reliable PPP connection.
- $8 Raspberry Pi Zero W which supports the camera module.
- $29 Raspberry Pi Camera module (and a cable for Raspberry Pi Zero).
- $18 any 12V battery capable of delivering 1.5W x 24h = 36Wh, such as this 7Ah Pb battery (80Wh).
- $8 dummy security camera.
- $10 12V charge controller.
- $2 12V to 5V buck converter to power the Raspberry Pi.
- $15 cabling and connectors.
- $132 100Wp solar panel.
Total: $222 + $7 per month for a 10GB mobile data plan.